Two fatal accidents took place yesterday along U.S. 41 in Southwest Florida.
An elderly woman was killed in a crash on U.S. 41 at Powell Road in Lee County earlier today. A Honda was traveling north on U.S. 41 when a Corvette going southbound turned left onto Powell Road. The woman was killed in the crash and another was taken to the hospital.
The crash is still under investigation. Read more
A man in his 70s was killed in a crash on U.S. 41 at Acline Road. The crash between two vehicles and a motorcycle closed both southbound lanes and one northbound lane. The motorcyclist was killed in the crash, which is still under investigation. Read more
There are many strategies motorists can use to help reduce the number of fatalities from motorcycle crashes. Here are a few tips from the motorcycle Safety Foundation:
- Give yourself space and time to respond to other motorists’ actions.
- Give other motorists time and space to respond to you.
- Use lane positioning to be seen; ride in the part of a lane where you are most visible.
- Watch for turning vehicles.
- Signal your next move in advance.
- Avoid weaving between lanes.
- Don’t ride when you are tired or under the influence of alcohol or other drugs.
- Know and follow the rules of the road, and stick to the speed limit.
Read more tips from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.